Read chapters 7-11 (inclusive)
Annotate your texts and write a few paragraphs for each chapter on the following:
1. The theme of relationships and connected themes, i.e. various forms of love, education, fate, honour, madness, history, the past, position of women, waste, etc.
2. Structure form and language
(Is the chapter dramatic? For instance, is there a sequence of events leading to a powerful conclusion?
Does the chapter: set out a series of problems and seek to resolve them? Does it involve questions and answers? Involve Cause and effect? Have thesis, antithesis, and synthesis? Is the structure logical? Does it involve the contrast of time? Is it a summary?)
how and why the following are used:
· styles of narration and attitude and values of narrators
· Use of language/vocabulary
· parallel narratives; balance of dialogue/description
· the purpose of chapters in the overall narrative:
(for instance, the presentation of historical events, counterpoint, the
introduction or presentation of characters and their dilemmas;
· the presentation of characters through dialogue, description, imagery,
events and symbolism associated with them.
3. Points that could be made about the historical and literary contexts through the use of background events and incidents affecting the characters:
from the time in which events are set – the early 1940s to the early 1990s
from the time in which the novel was written.
(i.e. events in the Balkans in the early 1990s – the civil war in Bosnia and the West’s early reaction to it.)
( i.e. post modernism, polyphonic novel, magic realism, etc.)